One More Week Until We Get Juicy! Remember our juice cleanse starts Sunday, May 22. I am getting excited and I have been doing tons of research on how we can get the most benefits out of this cleanse. I have had a great response and it's a great feeling knowing that there are lots of you out there who are going to be doing this cleanse along with me:-) In a few days I will be posting other info including juice recipes for the cleanse, and what to expect during the cleansing process.
What You Will Need
First things first, to participate in the juice cleanse you will need to purchase a juice extractor if you do not already have one. For the juice cleanse you need to drink only fresh vegetable and fruit juices not bottled juice. Bottled juice contains loads of sugar and preservatives.
A juicer is a special machine that extracts all the juice from fresh fruits and veggies and leaves only the pulp behind. You don't need to go out and buy something super expensive and super fancy. Like I said before, I have the Jack Lalanne which is one of the cheapest out there and it has worked great for the past 5 years I've had it.
Another option is to have the juices sent to your door, The Blueprint Cleanse is a popular company that will ship to your home.
Preparing Your Body for the Juice Cleanse
- artificial sweetners & microwave foods
- meat, fried or processed foods
it is important to do this so that you ease your body into the cleanse, if you try to give all these or even a few up all at once you it will make your cleanse extremely uncomfortable.
Begin to increase your intake of raw salads, fruits and vegetables. Soups, lightly steamed vegetables, healthy grains like brown rice and quinoa (which is high in protein) are excellent choices. Omega 3 rich eggs, salmon, and tuna and nuts are also good protein choices. Two days before the cleanse try and eat only raw salads, veggies, fresh fruit and vegetable and fruit juices.
Drink lots of water. Water with lemon squeezed in is an excellent choice. I love to sip hot water with lemon in the mornings, lemon juice is very cleansing and it will also help you start to flush out your system.
Preparing Your Mind for the Cleanse
This is just as important as preparing your body.
- Get out your journal and write down what your goals are for the juice cleanse. Maybe it's to help you fight and conquer an addiction to a certain food, maybe it's weight loss. Or maybe it's to improve a health problem. Write your goal out on a post it note and put it on the door of the refrigerator to remind you of your goal(s) during your cleanse.
- Yoga is very grounding. Try and get to a few yoga classes if that is available to you.
- Buy some herbal tea, find a nice quiet spot to enjoy it ( I love to sit out on my back deck and listen to the birds and look at my flowers) get quiet and meditate. Think positive thoughts about what you want to accomplish with this cleanse.
- Avoid negative people. Ask your friends & family to support you during your juice cleanse and not to try and discourage you. It is important to have a support system. I encourage you to interact with your fellow juicers and myself on my fanpage BetterHealthBetterLifeToday
Gain Support of Your Significant Other
This is super important! Explain to them the reasons why you are doing this. Tell them the benefits and why it is important to you. This step is vital to your success and without their support you may fall off the wagon.
clean out your refrigerator of anything that could "derail" you:)
Who should not try juice fasting?
People with the following conditions should not try a juice fast: Children (although adding fresh juice to your child's diet is awesome!) pregnant or nursing women. People with diabetes, hypoglycemia, eating disorders, anemia, epilepsy, kidney disease, impaired or weak immune system, cardiac arrhythmias, Candida, cancer, peptic ulcer, malnutrition, gout, lactation, severe bronchial asthma, terminal illness, tuberculosis, ulcerative colitis, any condition that causes depletion and weakness, underweight, chronic infection, nutritional deficiency, serious disease.
People should not try juice fasts before or after surgical procedures.
Fasting can reduce blood proteins and change the way prescription drugs react in the body. People taking prescription medication should consult a health professional skilled in detoxification before trying a juice fast. If you have any concerns about starting a juice fast, consult a health professional before starting.